A variety of home items and medications to avoid in recovering from alcohol abuse or substance abuse disorders. Certain of these items may appear harmless. For addicts, such items can be a source of temptation that could trigger cravings, and trigger Relapse. Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle can help you that which Medications & which items you use daily to avoid addiction recovery.
Vulnerability in early recovery How to Reduce Risk
The initial stages of recovery are when people tend to be the most vulnerable. The process of learning to lead a sober way of life and working towards improving their overall health and developing effective ways to cope with cravings and triggers.
If there are temptations in the house around them it’s easy to become distracted and lose track of time. For example, they might start reminiscing about their “glory moments” of substance misuse and how much pleasure they had while not contemplating the effects that the use of their substances may be causing.
In addition, they don’t will be able to enjoy the structured and structured setting they enjoyed during rehab. Instead, they have to deal with daily challenges like the rest of us. Yet, for someone in early recovery, the additional stress brought on by everyday problems can be overwhelming and can lead to relapses when medications and everyday things are easily available at home. As such, it is essential to ensure the home the person you love returns to is free of the use of alcohol, drugs, and other substances that may be used to treat addiction.
Treatment Options to Avoid in Early Recovery
Certain prescription and over-the-counter medicines are advised against during recovery because they could be dangerous which includes the possibility of relapse. One of the last things a recovering individual wants is to erase all the hard work, so it is important to know which drugs to stay away from.
Certain prescription medications should be avoided due to their dependence, for example:
Medicines that are available over the counter
There are also over-the-drug products you’ll want to avoid during your recovery These include:
- Any kind of nighttime or sleeping medication.
- Cough syrups containing Dextromethorphan (DMX)
- Any liquid medication that contains alcohol, for example, NyQuil, ZzzQuil, Robitussin, Vicks, and Halls.
- Decongestants, anti-allergy medications, sinus, and cold medicines which contain Pseudoephedrine.
- Motion sickness medication that contains Dimenhydrinate.
Before you begin a prescription or over-the-counter medication, it is essential to ask Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle an Alcohol Treatment Program in Seattle, Washington if the medication can be addictive. If the answer is yes, then you will want to inquire about or suggest a different drug. However, there are prescriptions and over-the-counter medications you can use to help you recover. Examples include:
- High Blood Pressure Medications
- High Cholesterol Medicines
- Medicines for Mental Health and Behavior
Everyday Items to Avoid in your recovery
Aside from various medications to avoid in recovery Additionally, there are other common things you should remove from your house to help you avoid lapses including:
- Alcohol – There shouldn’t be alcohol within the home to prevent the temptation to drink.
- Mouthwashes containing Alcohol Mouthwashes with AlcoholMany mouthwashes contain alcohol therefore, get rid of these and substitute them for alcohol-free alternatives.
- Inhalants –Inhalants encompass a range of products such as spray paint made of rubber cement nail polish remover model glue and butane. Even whipped cream found in aerosol bottles is thought of as an inhalant.
- Spices/Seasonings/Herbs – Most extracts contain ethanol or alcohol, including vanilla extract and almond extract. Certain herbs possess sedative or stimulant properties, like St John’s Wort and Valerian root.
- Hand Sanitizer Hand sanitizers are often made up of alcohol and should be replaced with alcohol-free products.
- Aftershave/Cologne/Perfume – Many of these products use ethanol for their base, so they should be removed from the home.
- Deodorizers and air fresheners The Deodorizers and Air Fresheners Many of these items contain Nitrites (poppers) that could lead to misuse.
While most everyday items can be considered to not be as harmful as drinking alcohol or other drugs, it is vital to remember these items can be more readily available. Additionally, using household items can be extremely risky and could lead to an accidental overdose as well as death. If you need help with your alcohol addiction, find the Best Private Alcohol Treatment Center in Seattle. Alcohol rehab places in Seattle connect you with top-rated private alcohol rehab facilities across Seattle that have rehabilitation & treatment options for alcohol addiction.
What If Someone in the home needs medication?
If a family member needs a prescription or other medication that they should avoid it is best to lock them in a locked box or some other secure area to keep them from any temptation. It is also recommended to avoid taking the medication around them.
Apart from removing all temptations from your home, the family must be prepared to change certain ways in which alcohol or drugs were present in the past. Instead, the entire family is encouraged to explore new hobbies and activities that promote a drug-free and healthy lifestyle.